Rif 1900 Presseservice Henrik Olesen  
  • Name: Nicklas Søgaard
  • Age: 21 (09-06-1992)
  • Position: Right Back
  • Club: Ringkøbing IF
  • International caps: None
  • Value: None
Once named one the of the greatest talents in Denmark, injuries ruined a promising career. However, this talent is not letting injuries stop him and is taking one step back to take two forward. This week we keep an eye on Nicklas Søgaard.

41 goals in 39 matches as a youth player in Randers Freja, Søgaard was offered a place on the FC Midtjylland academy when he was only 14-years old. Here, the goal machine was repositioned as a right back, despite his amazing goal history.

“The reason I was repositioned as a back was because it was there I, when I initially started playing football, played. I was a defender throughout most of my youth years, but as I was a bit faster and a bit bigger than some of the other players, one of my coaches wanted to use me up front. I found out that you got more attention when you were the one scoring goals rather than defending, so I became a striker,” the talent says about his youth years.

The change from the amateur club Randers Freja to a highly professional youth environment was a big step for the defender; suddenly he didn't have to wash his own training clothes or buy new boots - it was all taken care of by the club. Furthermore, he was now under the guidance of full time coaches and surrounded by some of the greatest talents in Denmark. After four years on the academy Søgaard was offered a one year contract and place in the Superliga squad. However, after just six months the 19-year old decided to end his stay in Midtjylland and look for first team football somewhere else. An extreme hard decision, but a decision he had to take.

“Of course, I am disappointed I didn’t get a Superliga match for Midtjylland, but it was the manager who decided who played and I couldn’t convince him during training," Søgaard says about leaving Midtjylland. 

The time after Midtjylland didn't go as planned for the talent. Shortly after signing a contract with the Danish 1. Division club Skive, the defender, ran into an injury hell:

“I’m not happy about the period of my career, as I was meant to take one step back and two forward, but I was unlucky and got tow fibre explosions. I came back and was finding my form when I during a training match broke my leg four different places, so it was a hell for me.”

After recovering from the broken leg, Søgaard had the opportunity to get back in the Danish 1. Division right away, but the defender decided to take a step down to the Danish 2. Division and find his form with Ringkøbing IF. In fact, Søndergaard asked the club if they would give a young player with ambitions for more, a chance to get back in shape. Luckily, they said yes. Now, the plan is to get back in shape and find the form he had when he left Midtjylland, and the talent has one particular goal:

“I hope to play in the Superliga one day and is eager to show that Midtjylland was wrong not giving me a chance," Søgaard ends the interview.